Re: vc-dir operation is very slow on large git repositories in Emacs 26.

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: vc-dir operation is very slow on large git repositories in Emacs 26.1
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 16:21:44 +0300

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Dmitry> Tom, any reason you did not choose this option?
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't remember any more.
>
> OK. Too bad the commit didn't include tests.
>
> So I think we should try it and see if anything broken comes up?

In fact it could be that

$ git status -z

is the way to go, even though it will need changes in parsing.

Here is quote from 'git help status', for quick reference:

       -z
           Terminate entries with NUL, instead of LF. This implies the
           --porcelain output format if no other format is given.
[...]

       --porcelain
           Give the output in an easy-to-parse format for scripts. This is
           similar to the short output, but will remain stable across Git
           versions and regardless of user configuration. See below for
           details.

The output format is then carefully described later in the man-page.

-- Sergey