Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security

From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong
Subject: Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 18:20:55 +0100

However, the thing that's protecting against (a SHA1 intermediate
certificate (oops, I see I've called it "intermediary" in the code and
doc; I'll fix that now)) is, I seem to remember, now being considered a
realistic attack (i.e., you can generate valid-looking fake certificates
based on one).

Or do I misremember?  I tried googling now, and I couldn't find anybody
actually achieving that yet...

It's all about collisions[1], it's mostly a precaution, as no one has found an actual collistion for a cert yet, but Google has found collision for PDF last year [2].

[1]: https://blog.chromium.org/2014/09/gradually-sunsetting-sha-1.html
[2]: https://shattered.io/