Re: auto-complete popup is broken on master

From: John Shahid
Subject: Re: auto-complete popup is broken on master
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:55:14 +0000

removed help-gnu-emacs and add emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: John Shahid <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 15:49:06 +0000
>>
>> The candidates in the auto-complete popup aren't aligned properly. This
>> seems to be a result of the change in the behavior of
>> `vertical-motion'. auto-complete tries to move vertically by getting the
>> column using `(car (posn-col-row (posn-at-point)))' then use the col
>> number as follows `(vertical-motion '(COL 1))'. This works as expected
>> on `4a7e74fea687011ee81dcbb02294bccd99b3a05f` but its behavior has
>> changed on master. Current master doesn't take into account
>> display-line-number width. Was that an intentional change ? If so, what
>> is the recommended way to get the previous behavior ?
>
> Thanks.  This is not the right place for reporting bugs, certainly not
> about the development codebase.  Please submit a bug report using
> report-emacs-bug, and please include there a recipe to reproduce the
> problem starting from "emacs -Q".

I meant to send this email to emacs-devel instead of
help-gnu-emacs. Sorry about that. I will open a bug ASAP.

> (I think what you describe is not a bug, but it's hard to tell without
> all the details.  Also, the commit you mention is quite old.)

I wasn't sure if this is considered a bug or a feature, but we can
discuss that on the bug report.

>> While debugging this issue I also noticed that auto-complete popup-el
>> use overlay 'prefix property which isn't documented.
>
> Can you point at places in auto-complete which are using that
> property?

It is being set in the following places
https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/blob/master/popup.el#L610 &
https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/blob/master/popup.el#L366.