Re: vc-dir operation is very slow on large git repositories in Emacs 26.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: vc-dir operation is very slow on large git repositories in Emacs 26.1
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 15:55:38 +0300

On 6/23/18 9:44 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I assume it was added to fix some problem or issue.  What was that
issue, and what are the alternatives that avoid issuing the command?

It's used to obtain the list of conflicted files. Which is the new feature added in the bug report I've referenced.

I'm not quite sure why we have to fetch the list of all files in the repository to do that.

It seems like the approach was simply adapted from the ls-files-up-to-date stage, but that one is only called for a list of individual files, not for the status of a whole directory (e.g. whole repository).