Re: w32-pipe-read-delay (was: vc-dir operation is very slow on large git

From: Alex Harsanyi
Subject: Re: w32-pipe-read-delay (was: vc-dir operation is very slow on large git repositories in Emacs 26.1)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 21:32:24 +0800

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 9:30 PM, Alex Harsanyi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Increasing w32-pipe-buffer-size had no effect on the speed -- I know I said in
> a previous email that it had an effect, but I only tried to increase it after
> dropping w32-pipe-read-delay to 0 and tried it once -- sometimes the time
> drops further from 0.13 to 0.8 seconds, but this seems random -- at this
> speed, probably other factors, such as process startup, have an effect on the
> read speed.

Oops, above I meant to say 0.08, not 0.8, here some sequential runs with
`w32-pipe-read-delay` set to 0 and `w32-pipe-buffer-size` set to 0:

    time-process: it took 0.08 seconds
    time-process: it took 0.14 seconds
    time-process: it took 0.09 seconds
    time-process: it took 0.14 seconds [2 times]
    time-process: it took 0.14 seconds
    time-process: it took 0.09 seconds
    time-process: it took 0.14 seconds
    time-process: it took 0.11 seconds