Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; up

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; update syntax during match
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:16:53 -0700

> On 06/19/2018 09:54 AM, John Wiegley wrote:
>> If we do find a problem with it, how long will it take before the fix we
>> need
>> is propagated everywhere it needs to go?
>
> It shouldn't take much time at all to propagate Emacs-related regex
> changes back to Gnulib, which is commonly used by GNU applications like
> 'grep' so that they can assume the same regex API everywhere. It would
> take more time to propagate the changes back into Glibc, but the
> distance between Gnulib regex and Glibc regex is relatively small (it's
> way less than the distance between Emacs regex and Glibc regex) and it's
> feasible to do that propagation (mostly, this means to jump the Glibc
> bureaucratic hurdles).

Do you think the glib regex maintainers would be amenable to adding 1)
external iterator support (that we'd use to deal with the gap), and 2)
user-pluggable callouts (which we'd use to implement Emacs-specific
assertions)? I'd rather not have a huge pile of ifdefs the way we do now.
I'd much prefer using maintained extension points.