Re: regex.c simplification

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: regex.c simplification
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 12:35:49 -0400

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 08:35:34 -0700 "Daniel Colascione"
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I was doing some work on regex.c just now, and I was frustrated
> that the code is unnecessarily complicated by the ifdefs necessary
> to support some theoretical non-Emacs use case. Is all of this
> complexity really necessary? Are we sure the !emacs case even
> compiles? Are there non-Emacs users of the Emacs regex code? Can we
> just fork the implementation? How about baking in switches like
> MATCH_MAY_ALLOCATE?

The emacs regex code is hardly state of the art. I would suggest that
there are many other, better, free software implementations of
regexes.

Indeed, arguably at some point the Emacs regex code could use an
overhaul.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden