Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:23:34 -0400

>> way to time this case out reliably is to spawn a child which attempts to
>> perform 'stat' and is then killed by the parent if timed out (similar to
>> how 'lsof' does it).  I'm sure such a complex technique would be
>> unacceptable for Emacs.
> Isn’t that what TRAMP does behind the scene, though?

Indeed, and someone could write an "NFS file name handler" so you could
use something like "/nfs:<host>/...".  It might even be reasonably easy
for Tramp to provide that (since I believe GVFS supports NFS access).
But it won't help when Emacs accesses to NFS files via normal OS calls
rather than via Tramp.

        Stefan