Re: Blink Cursor mode is off by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Blink Cursor mode is off by default
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 07:02:09 +0300

On June 12, 2018 5:33:32 AM GMT+03:00, Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/11/2018 07:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 16:19:42 -0700
> >> From: address@hidden
> >> Cc: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>,
> >>   address@hidden

> right?
> >>
> >> What about temporarily setting a variable watcher on
> blink-cursor-mode so
> >> we can tell whether early init touched it?
> >
> > I think it's too gross.
>
> Why? We have a tool. Let's use it.

I cannot explain it, but it sounds inelegant.

I think we can use (get var 'standard-value) instead to detect
variables that were modified in early-init, and refrain from
reinitializing them the second time.

> >> That's what I do now.
> >
> > I suggest you don't.  This is not what early-init.el is for.
>
> Why not? Now I can have the entire configuration loaded before the
> first
> frame is created. It looks clean.

Clean, but unsafe, as important parts of startup has not yet
been done.  E.g., anything related to fonts or faces will probably
not work reliably at that point.

There's a reason why we read the user init file at some specific
place and not before.