Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject t

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject t
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 16:11:29 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> So we introduced a defcustom in Emacs 26.1 just to remove it in Emacs
> 27.1?  Isn't there a nicer way out of this, one that doesn't remove an
> existing feature?

Well, it's not in NEWS :-)

And it wasn't really agreed to by consensus...  Sam pushed it, some
discussion ensued, and then Sam and I agreed off-list (which was
probably my common mistake of hitting "reply" instead of "reply to all")
that the file-local variable was the best way.  This was also the
opinion of more people.

Yesterday, when cleaning up I noticed the commit.  I guess you're right,
we might as well live with it, ...sigh.  If the plan is to obsolete
flymake-proc.el anyway, maybe this has little influence.

In a similar cleanup, I just pushed to master an obsoletion of a
variable introduced in 26.1 (but here with full backward compatibility
and a better alternative).  Do you think this can make it into 26.2?

João