Re: Three cheers for Eli!

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Eli!
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 01:09:54 -0400

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Out of curiosity: why aren't GNU projects open-source?  I know RMS
> dislikes the term, but the source of GNU projects is available on the
> Internet, so technically they should count, no?

GNU projects are licensed under the GPL.  Though GPL is an "OSI
approved" license, and so technically an "open source" license,
calling it that comes way short of conveying what it stands for.

Instead of attempting to explain it myself, I'll refer you to
this [0] article by RMS, called Why Open Source misses the point
of Free Software, which explains it much better than I could.

[0]: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

-amin