Re: Should this package be included into the NS port?

From: George Plymale II
Subject: Re: Should this package be included into the NS port?
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 14:56:18 -0400

Ryan Thompson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> As before, I don't have much to add, as I'm not familiar with the internals
> of Emacs responsible for the underlying issue. But as I've said before, I'm
> perfectly happy to have my "pseudo-daemon" code incorporated into Emacs
> itself, and I have already signed the copyright assignment papers for a few
> small prior contributions to Emacs. If there is interest, I can rewrite my
> mode as a patch to Emacs rather than advice.

Thanks a lot Ryan! I think you're probably the most qualified person to
help out with this. Importing your package as a patch is also probably a
good idea; an advice seems like more of a 3rd-party thing to do.

> One thing we should think about is what happens when my package is
> installed and enabled on an Emacs that also includes this behavior as
> a core feature. I believe that it shouldn't cause any problems, since
> only one or the other will ever activate, not both.

If it does cause any problems, perhaps you could add an ad-hoc variable
or something and include a check for it in your package. Perhaps it
could issue a warning if it detects that it's running on an Emacs which
has the fix in the core. E.g.,

"Warning: Your Emacs already has this fix in the core, so this package
is actually not needed"

> In practice, the main drawback to using this mode is that when the last
> existing frame is closed the new frame that it creates is briefly visible
> before being hidden. This isn't a major issue in general, but it could
> easily confuse people who don't know what's going on and make them think
> that a glitch has occurred. If anyone knows how to create a hidden frame
> without ever making it visible, I'd be happy to fix that.

It seems that Stefan has mentioned something on how to deal with this in
an earlier message. I think I've seen this glitch a few times in the
past, but it never bothered me so I didn't really care. I don't know
much else about this particular issue so I can't comment further on it.