Re: Where should I send patches

From: John Shahid
Subject: Re: Where should I send patches
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 17:33:13 +0000

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> I am just a minor (may be micro) contributor to Emacs. But still I have few
> comments:
>
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 12:25 PM John Shahid <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> I was little confused given that I received no replies on my bug
>> report[1] , which admittedly was sent last night.
>

> "last night"? That's a lot of expectation. Realize that here we are
> collaborating with folks all around the world, different time zones. In
> general, I wait for 4 days or so before pinging back on that same "bug
> report" (quoting that because that report could also be a feature request
> or a patch, or anything).

Fair enough, although I feel the emacs mailing list is pretty
responsive. That said, I was trying to clarify a confusion not solicit
feedback on the bug report.

>> What is more confusing
>> is the fact that I see patches being discussed on this
>> (address@hidden) mailing list instead of address@hidden
>

> Usually patch discussion comes to emacs-devel if the discussion doesn't
> resolve on that bug thread itself, or if more user feedback is needed.

In my case I didn't open a bug report first. The bug report is the
combination of bug and fix, hence my question on how to handle this use
case ?

cheers,

-js