inconsistent parsing functions in bibtex-mode

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: inconsistent parsing functions in bibtex-mode
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 13:46:33 -0500

Unexpectedly I was hit again by an old problem with bibtex-mode:

This mode defines functions bibtex-beginning-of-entry and
bibtex-end-of-entry which are *similar* to beginning-of-defun and
end-of-defun.  However: repeated calls of these functions do not
move point beyond the current BibTeX entry.  So, while it would be
nice in bibtex-mode to bind beginning-of-defun-function and
end-of-defun-function to these bibtex-mode functions, this won't
work at the moment.

Hence my question: how to deal with this?  I guess the options are:

(1) Keep the behavior of these functions the way they are.

(2) Align the behavior of these functions with what other modes do.

I want to check here before possibly investing more time into option
(2).  I doubt that many people use these commands interactively in a
way that changing their behavior would disturb their work flow.  I
expect that (if at all) this may affect people who have somehow
customized bibtex-mode for their needs.  But it's hard to predict
details.