Re: rx.el sexp regexp syntax

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: rx.el sexp regexp syntax
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 11:56:09 -0700

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Slightly off-topic: I wouldn't ever use rx unless I was writing a really
>> brutal regexp,
>
> Why not?

I think it's just what Alan is saying: if you're familiar with regexp,
it's easier to write them directly. Each of us has a different level of
familiarity, thus each of us has a different point at which we might
break off and use rx. A regexp that would make my eyes cross (with
"\\(\\(\\(") could be perfectly comprehensible to someone else.
Personally, I'd use rx with more than two nested layers of
group-capture, but that's only me.