Re: Support for bringing package change logs to the user's attention

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: Support for bringing package change logs to the user's attention
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 15:31:42 +0100

Hi Chris,

2018ko maiatzak 25an, Christopher Done-ek idatzi zuen:

[...]

> I would like that there be explicit support for:
>
> A. When I load an Emacs package that is newer than last time, that Emacs
>    automatically brings up to my attention a buffer with "what's new" in
>    the package.

Itʼs not automatic, but the ‘customize-changed’ function displays the
user customization options that have been added or changed between some
(specified) past version of emacs and the running version.

The drawbacks are:
- You just see a buffer full of options, not a narrative like a NEWS
  file that groups changes logically and/or in order of importance.
- It only works for emacs core, not packages (but bug#31383 is a request
  to change that).
- As mentioned it is not automatic (though Iʼm sure that there are
  people for whom an automated change announcement itself would be
  considered a drawback...).

Just FYI...

--
Aaron Ecay