Re: emacs-26 52ccb24: ; * doc/os.texi (Batch Mode): use = after --eval

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs-26 52ccb24: ; * doc/os.texi (Batch Mode): use = after --eval
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 10:01:58 +0200

Philipp Stephani <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Philipp,

>     Why that? The former is valid, and it is used everywhere in the
>     Makefiles.
>
> See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24949#6: "long
> options are documented to need the equals sign"

I see. Maybe you could add the bug number to the commit message, next
time? This would avoid this kind of comment, perhaps.

>     And we should touch the release branch only for essential changes,
>     so close to the release.
>
> It's not essential, but it's an obviously safe documentation fix.

I know. I'm writing software for decades, and I've managed several times
to damage a release with "it's just a one-line patch, I cannot make it
wrong". Therefore, I'm extremely conservative with last minute
changes. And I still believe your patch could have waited for opening
the release branch for Emacs 26.1.50.

Best regards, Michael.