Re: show-enclosing-scopes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: show-enclosing-scopes
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 10:01:40 +0300

> From: Jefferson Carpenter <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 06:18:15 +0000
>
> I do think it would make sense for as many state changes as possible to
> happen during command execution, pending a redisplay once execution has
> completely finished.  (redisplay) shall not have to be added after
> (scroll-up) and (scroll-down) in order to set point subsequently, and
> functions that recenter point, alter the number of open windows, and so
> on, don't needlessly redisplay the buffer while synchronous elisp code
> is executing.

With one exception, you describe what already happens.

The exception is the scroll commands: they are special, because they
need to tell redisplay where to put the window's starting point --
that's what scrolling commands do in Emacs.  If you care about point
position after scrolling, and if point position could move out of the
visible portion as result of the scrolling, your best bet is not to
use scrolling commands in your program at all, at least on those
cases.  (My advice is to stay away of scroll commands entirely in Lisp
programs, except in commands whose explicit purpose is to scroll.)