Re: Byte-compilation of custom themes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Byte-compilation of custom themes
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 12:03:47 -0400

> Though I personally prefer to consistently #'-quote function symbols in
> my own code, both for the extra byte-compiler check and narrower
> in-buffer completion, I have no strong opinion here; I was simply making
> the change in a sweeping fashion, in line with what I had perceived as a
> welcome style.  Out of curiosity, though, what makes key bindings
> special w.r.t. quoting?

[ I'm probably responsible in large part for the recent popularity of
  the #' notation, so I figured I should chime in:  ]

While I generally prefer to use #' where applicable, I have resisted the
temptation to use it in keymaps because I have found it leads to
"spurious" warnings more often than in other contexts (and the impact
of an invalid binding is also less serious than a call to
a non-existing function).

Also, to me #'f means "the function bound to this symbol" whereas 'f
means "the symbol f", and in key-bindings I really want to use "the
symbol" rather than "the associated function" because `C-h m` gives poor
results when keys are bound to lambda expressions.  It's a rather
"philosophical" argument, tho.

        Stefan