Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 13:24:58 -0400

On May 5, 2018, at 23:12, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Another idea: %Nx with a negative number should output its 2's
>>> complement representation in 4N bits.
>
>> That's already taken: A leading “-“ means to left-justify the output if the
>> specified width is wider than required.
>
> We are miscommunicating.  I'm talking about what %Nx should do when
> outputting an argument that is negative, as in (format "%16x" -63).
>
> Sorry that wasn't clear.
>
> You could try p/x -63 in GDB to see what I mean.

Oh, I see. Yes, I misunderstood. Apologies for my confusion.

So, in this case, would it truncate the output or use a wider field, if the
value couldn’t “properly” be shown in the specified size?
E.g., -5000 would display in hex as …ffec78; with a format “%2x” should it
return “78” or should it get enough digits to show the minimum number of bits
needed to express the real value, much like formatting with “%2d” would still
give you “-5000” instead of chopping off relevant digits?

Maybe we can supply both bit count and minimum field width in a format string…
“%32!8x” to display the lowest 32 bits in 8 columns but with leading spaces
rather than zeros? Or swap the positions of the numbers. And maybe one could be
optional; “%32!x” could mean either “%32!8x” (eight columns, leading spaces) or
“%32!1x” (minimum one column, i.e., no leading spaces or zeros added).

It would be logical to consider whether the same format extensions would be
useful with %o or %d (or others?) being used to format bignums.

Ken