Re: Regarding smerge upper/lower; needs NEWS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Regarding smerge upper/lower; needs NEWS
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 08:23:20 -0400

>> With that patch, smerge-ediff creates buffers with "A" and "B" in their
>> names rather than "UPPER" and "LOWER", which is what I want.
>> I still don't know how to use smerge itself, so I don't know what if
>> anything is displayed differently in smerge with the patch.
> Certainly the intent is to affect nothing else; the patch only changes
> smerge-ediff.

In Richard's use-case this patch makes a lot of sense.  But I'm not sure
it's a good idea in general: for users who generally use SMerge and only
occasionally use `smerge-ediff` keeping the UPPER/LOWER in the buffer
names is a good way to clarify which of Ediff's A/B corresponds to which
of SMerge's UPPER/LOWER.

Another option would be to use the names often present on the "<<<<<<<
NAME1" and ">>>>>>> NAME2" lines: this would be especially valuable
given that those names are otherwise lost when we convert from "one file
with context markers" to "several files without context markers".

        Stefan