Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)

From: Matthias Dahl
Subject: Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:34:02 +0100

Hello Stefan...

On 14/03/18 13:24, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> FWIW, I'm with Eli on this: I don't think this is a really new problem,
> so it's not super-urgent to fix.

Please excuse my bluntness (not meant as an offense or anything alike)
but that argument does not really hold up. Imagine we were working on a
filesystem, found a longstanding corruption bug that could randomly hit
everyone and silently corrupt data every once in a while (or never). It
gets discovered, fixes are ready but those won't get committed since
the bug has been around for ages, so it can wait a bit longer until the
fixes have been through another timely major release cycle.

Ok, my examples are usually really bad. :) But you get my point. Those
are real bugs... granted, they partially have been around for longer but
people still will run into them and get weird behavior or hangs... and
that all over the place.

I still think fixing actual bugs is more important than holding those
fixes back for longer due to the off-chance of introducing new ones.

And again: Isn't that what beta release are for? Finding bugs and fixing
them before the actual stable release? I'm not arguing for rushing those
fixes out in a 25.3.x release or whatever. But the 26 beta cycle seems
more than appropriate to me as its a new major release... just my 2ct.

And I promise I will shut up now about this if nobody agrees with me. :)

So long,
Matthias

--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu