Re: Isearch interaction model

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Isearch interaction model
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 01:23:52 -0700

On 03/11/2018 02:58 PM, Juri Linkov wrote:
But it you want to share string and regexp histories, it's easy to implement
by another layer of indirection like for query-replace history variables:

(defcustom query-replace-from-history-variable 'query-replace-history
(defcustom query-replace-to-history-variable 'query-replace-history

Sure. It's possible to make this behavior customizable.

But then perhaps search-ring-yank-pointer and regexp-search-ring-yank-pointer
need similar indirection, or code could be smart enough to detect such
indirection and compute the right pointer depending on where such variables
point to.

I really think you're over-thinking this problem. Let's just try a unified
history and see whether it causes problems in practice. I suspect it'll
feel perfectly natural, and we won't need complex indirection layers.

So far we have seen only two opinions: you prefer sharing histories, and
I keep the list of frequently used regexp searches in the separate regexp
history saved in the desktop file.

Hrm. I'm still confused about what makes the regex search case so different though. Are you using the regexp-ness of a search as a proxy for a search being interesting enough to be worth saving? What if we could explicitly mark interesting searches for saving --- or even easily name them and bind them, like a keyboard macro?