Re: Towards a WYSIWYG word processing (was: What improvements would be t

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Towards a WYSIWYG word processing (was: What improvements would be truly useful?)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 11:02:38 -0500

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 10:09 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> What's important is that according to my experience, one
> can write reasonably well formatted documents without ever touching
> any styles.  Which means that Emacs with advanced text-formatting
> features can be very useful even if it doesn't support style sheets of
> any kind.

In a sense that goes to the heart of the undertaking.  Does it hope
merely to make it possible for users who have already committed to
Emacs to carry out an incrementally larger portion of their authoring
activities within that familiar environment?  Or does it hope to attract
users for whom WYSIWYG editing represents a more dominant portion
of their authoring activities?

The former is merely some subset of the Emacs community scratching
an itch.  The latter would represent a strategic initiative.