Re: Variable-width font indentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 22:31:06 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:59:21 -0500
>
> * Paul and I have been discussing an language-agnostic heuristic to preserve
> alignment when changing from monospace to variable-pitch faces.  This intends
> to preserve the original indentation of the code, by inferring what it would
> have been if the logic originally used to indent the document had been aware
> of variable-pitch faces.

I don't see a need for such a feature, sorry.  We have indentation
already; its only problem is that it doesn't work well with variable
pitch fonts.  That's what we need to try to fix, if we care about the
capability of displaying program code with such fonts.

> * You're describing a language-specific way to get a nice-looking
> variable-pitch rendering of a document; your way is to reindent the document,
> essentially.

I was describing a way of teaching the existing indentation code
handle variable-pitch fonts.