Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 17:35:43 +0000

On Fri 16 Feb 2018, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> Just concatenating bytes to the end of an executable doesn't break that
> executable, at least not on any platform I know about. binutils keeps working.
> No special section required. Strip does remove the extra data though,
> unfortunately, and this procedure does break any cryptographic signatures

...and that is why it should not be done. Most platforms are moving in
the direction of requiring cryptographically signed binaries.

> (although we're not using any right now).

However it will be necessary to support this in the near future.

Thanks for your work on the portable dumper though - this already looks
solid enough that the old dump code does not have long to live...

   AndyM