Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 16:52:33 +0100

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

> We do need to avoid platform-specific executable file manipulation and
> weird runtime hacks. There are three options on the table:
>
> 1) Keeping the dump as a separate file,
> 2) Appending the dump to the end of the executable, and
> 3) Overwriting a data-section array with the dump contents.

If I remember correctly, XEmacs chose option (1), but that was a long
time ago. If we implement that, nothing prevents us from adding option
(2) later. Later builds that implement (2) would then simply not
provide the dump file separately, and once it's shown to work reliably
the code for (1) could be removed (or (1) and (2) could be swapped).

Option 3 seems less flexible, plus as someone mentioned it would be
nice to able to redump your own emacs, which could run into a
limitation of the size of the data section.

Robert