Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 23:21:24 -0800

RR> JW does not use package.el. Instead he uses git-subtree to manage the
RR> packages and use-package to autoload them. The point I was trying to
RR> demonstrate by bringing this up was that package activation is not cheap.

As of tow weeks ago, I now use Nix to manage my environment, instead of
subtrees. :) This makes it easier to vary what is installed based on the
combination of Emacs and OS version, and also I can pin individual packages at
specific versions, install custom patches, or add installation details for
packages not in ELPA or MELPA.