Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:52:21 +0300

On 1/12/18 12:01 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Why discard it after the first save?  The tags table is probably still
very much valid.

Indeed, it's a rough heuristic. I'm aiming for correctness here, not for performance.

On the other hand, code navigation and editing are often fairly distinct activities, you don't switch between the two too frequently. So waiting a second or two when going from the latter to the former shouldn't be too terrible.

I'd not discard it until either of the following
happens:

   . we fail to find a tag

Not sure about this one. We can make this customizable, of course (although the implementation might end up a bit convoluted), but IMO it's not good for the default behavior.

Failing to find a tag is a valid result (some identifiers can be absent, or defined somewhere else, e.g. in the libraries), and doing a rescan each time that happens might be more annoying.

Further, some users will call C-u xref-find-definitions, look for the new tag in the completion table, fail to find it there, and simply abort without trying the search.

   . the user visits a tags table explicitly

That's of course, works already.

   . the user switches to a different project(?)

It's an omission currently, but yes, I fully intend to add this.

We could offer generating a tags table if we don't find one in the
tree, instead of generating it automatically.

And then what? Visit it? And make the user to rescan manually every time? I'm fine with this as an optional behavior (and it will also be an improvement, of course, since generating tags is not exactly trivial for new users, and even many not-so-new ones), but I don't want this for the default.

I think this would be a
better UI and UX, especially given the time it could take to generate
TAGS (see below).

Sublime Text, Atom and VS Code simply index the project code, AFAIK, without extra prompts. I think we should try to show a similar experience, even if it's not great for big projects. There are several directions we can improve on it, but showing the user that "yes, we can find-definition right away" is a good thing.

For reference, indexing the Emacs sources takes ~1.1sec here.

Was that with cold cache or warm cache?

Warm, probably. But that's the relevant time, isn't it? We're most wondering how long it will take to *reindexing* (because we're discussing when to do it). The first indexing will take place anyway.

"make TAGS" takes about 9 sec here with a warm cache, and this is an
SSD disk.

'make tags' makes 1 second on my machine, with an NVMe disk.

On fencepost.gnu.org, a (somewhat slow) GNU/Linux system,
it took 12 sec with a cold cache and 4 sec with a warm cache.  And
Emacs is not a large project; I wonder what would happen in larger
ones, like GCC or glibc.

We can try to somehow detect very large projects, and helpfully offer to visit a tags table instead. Anyway, M-x visit-tags-table still works.

IOW, I don't think this is so fast that we could do that without user
approval.

The argument here is that if the user called xref-find-definitions, it's better to do a (long-ish) scan and show something, instead of failing. They always have an option of C-g (we could also catch it and show helpful instructions if the process took too long).

I don't understand why you didn't use the commonly used form:

    find . -name "*.rb" -o -name "*.js" ... | etags -o- -

Because the project API doesn't make this easy. Anyway, generating the full list of files is relatively fast in comparison. At most, it took like 30% of the whole time (and less in other cases). And we can speed it up further independently (e.g. using git ls-files).

Doing things the way you did raises issues with encoding of file
names, which could cause subtle problem in rare use cases.

Well, I haven't seen them yet, and don't really understand how they're going to happen. But we'll probably fix them, one way or another.

I think
using 'find' is also faster.

find is used under the covers. The difference is just that the invocations of etags are only happening later.

More generally, I think doing this that way is not TRT, at least not
by default.  "make TAGS" in Emacs will produce a much richer tags
table than your method, because our Makefiles use regexps to augment
the automatic tagging in etags.  So I think we should first try to
invoke the TAGS target of a Makefile in the tree, if one exists, and
only use the naïve command as fallback.

'make tags' is very much specific to Emacs. We can introduce some kind of protocol, of course, but my primary goal here is to improve the out-of-the-box behavior.

Further, the task will have to write tags to stdout: the current code saves the temporary tags file to /tmp, and there are reasons to do that. Anyway, that part shouldn't be too hard.

A possible venue for improvement is to somehow derive a multi-TAGS-files structure (with their dependencies) from the project information. Still thinking about it.