Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 17:08:51 -0500

> Don't forget that this requires an easy access to the diffs, which in
> practice means a Git repository nearby.

FWIW, I think we should design the system for the case where the
user *does* have the VCS history at hand.

Those users who don't have the VCS history available are by definition
at a disadvantage but we don't need to do anything special to help them,
since there's already a trivial solution for that (i.e. getting the VCS
history).

It's perfectly OK for someone to decide to hack on Emacs starting from
a tarball rather than from a Git tree, but then this user gets what he
asked for.

        Stefan