Re: Fix some tooltip related problems

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Fix some tooltip related problems
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 19:19:31 +0100

> (If this has no effect on users or Lisp then you can
> ignore this message.)
>
> Could you perhaps describe the changes in terms of what
> changes for (1) users and (2) existing Lisp code?  And
> could you describe the problem(s) it is meant to solve?
>
>> Replace 'tooltip' frame parameter with a 'tooltip'
>> member in the frame structure.
>
> I don't find a `tooltip' parameter mentioned in the
> docs (e.g. Emacs 26 pretests).  Is this related to
> variable `tooltip-frame-parameters'?

No.  In Emacs 26 a tooltip's frame has a parameter called 'tooltip'
set to t.  But tooltip frames are hardly visible - `frame-list' and
`other-frames' don't show them - so it's unlikely that you've seen
that parameter.

> If so, this might break code (of which I have some)
> that uses that variable to configure tooltip frames.

`tooltip-frame-parameters' continues to work as before.

> Does this affect use of `x-show-tip' or `tooltip-show'?

No.

>> For modeline help-echoing have tooltips show applicable
>> actions only.
>
> What does that mean?  What "inapplicable" stuff will
> users no longer be able to see in tooltips?

For example, with emacs -Q and the mouse over the right part of the
single modeline you won't see a tooltip because the corresponding
window is already selected, occupies the whole frame and can be
neither removed nor resized.

martin