Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 22:39:58 +0200

> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 22:19:25 +0200
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-03/msg01425.html
>
> A "better answer", if I do say so myself, has been proposed. Even
> Stefan, who objected to the original removal, is onboard. And yet, it's
> not being accepted.
>
> So tell me, please, which of these "agreed-upon decisions" are we going
> to reverse? One that Stefan made and would now prefer to go back on, or
> the one that you made yourself?
>
> (Sorry for getting all political, but the amount of messages in this
> thread is getting ridiculous. I did not sign up for this much wasted time.)

Forget all the messages.  Forget the politics.  There are only 2
questions that need to be answered: Can you modify your branch such
that it doesn't remove prog-indentation-context, doesn't replace
prog-widen with widen, and leaves prog-first-column as a function?
And if so, can the resulting changeset allow reasonable MMM-style
multi-mode support in Emacs?

If the answer to both questions is YES, then we have a clear way
forward, and can stop talking.