Re: error building emacs from clean clone

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: error building emacs from clean clone
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 05:17:13 -0400

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:51 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't know what "now" is for you, but I've tried that a number of times in
> the past 24 hours and it still does not work.

Ah, okay. It was reported that updating fixed an error which seems the
same as what you posted:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?users=emacs;bug=28760#11

Perhaps you have something else though?

> I think it's Stephan who suggested a while back that when a build failed for
> no obvious reasons, just starting from scratch was the best way to fix the
> issue. So I just erased my emacs directory and did the git clone dance, but
> this time without success.

Cloning from scratch is overkill, 'git clean -fx' will delete
everything not directly from git. That way you don't have to download
everything from the beginning.

Andreas' suggestion of 'make bootstrap' is *usually* enough, but not
in every case (see INSTALL.REPO for a couple of counter-examples).

> Last attempt was 10mn ago.

Which revision are you at? 'git log -1'