Re: Why wasn't the 25.3 release based on the then-head of the emacs-25 b

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Why wasn't the 25.3 release based on the then-head of the emacs-25 branch?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 22:14:57 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
But not for an emergency release that fixes a security
vulnerability: that one must not have any issues or problems

It is impossible to achieve 100% safety in any realistic release. Even the 25.3 release, which was simple and straightforward, had at least one minor point of confusion in its release announcement that could cause problems for people running older Emacs versions. This was because (as Glenn noted) the announcement gave the wrong version number for when the remote-exploit bug was introduced.

25.3 is good enough, and it's in the books now. But moving forward, we can do better the next time we have an emergency release. As things stand the process takes too much time, and requires too much manual work, and apparently only one person can actually make a release. These are all things that can be improved on.