Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:16:49 -0400

  > Does a vulnerability that has been there since that long really deserve
  > such a rushed release?

Any vulnerability that doesn't involve a mistake by the user
calls for a quick fix.

How long the bug has existed does not change anything.

  > I mean, you could have gone through the classic release procedure with
  > tags/branches etc and maybe delay the release for 2-3 days. Would it really
  > have changed something in that case?

That is not an real reason for delay.

There is nothing sacred about the usual release procedure.
We use it under normal circumstances
because under normal circumstances it's useful:
it helps us avoid errors.

It helps us avoid errors because a normal release includes
lots of changes.

This situation is not like that, so there was no need
for that procedure.

--
Dr Richard Stallman