Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 23:01:07 +0200

On 2017-08-22 20:09, Radon Rosborough wrote:
> Well, nobody (including you) has told me *why* they don't like my
> proposal. If somebody would explain that, then I would stop bringing
> it up.

I think I'm not a big fan of your proposal because the only problem I see with
the status quo is that a call to package-initialize in the init file is
required at all.  Given this, I don't see a change to the status quo that still
requires a call to package-initialize in init.el as an improvement.

I think your proposal is well-designed and reasonable, and I think you made a
good case for it, but it solves a problem that I don't see as a problem, and it
doesn't solve the part that I'm bothered about.

I hope this makes sense!
Clément.