Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 18:44:14 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> We add the appropriate line to externals-list in the master branch,
>> right?  Then push that? Then create a new branch, in my case
>> external/ebdb,
>
> First create (and populate) the externals/ebdb branch.  Only once
> that is done can you update the externals-list file to point to it.

Okay, this is what I was confused about. I have to populate the branch
with the code from the existing github repo, obviously I'm not just
copying files in there, I need to clone the repo into it somehow. The
README says:

git clone --reference .. --single-branch --branch externals/PACKAGE $(git
config remote.origin.url) PACKAGE

Though I can't tell from the README if that's meant to be the command to
add an external to ELPA, or just pull down an existing external and look
at it. Anyway, running that command just gets me:

Could not find remote branch externals/ebdb to clone

Which is no surprise.

How do I populate the branch?

Eric