Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra

From: Itai Berli
Subject: Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:43:18 +0300

Thanks. A new executable appeared in the src folder: emacs-26.0.50.2
Is this the executable that I need to run to see the changes I made, or can I still run emacs-26.0.50.1?
Generally speaking, whenever I make a change and rebuild, do I need to change the target file that I run (emacs-26.0.50.2, .3, .4, etc.)?

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Itai Berli <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:53:24 +0300
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> If I make a change to the code, for experimentation purposes, how do I compile it so I can see my change in
> action and debug it? Should I run
>
> ./autogen.sh
> ./autogen.sh git
> CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> or can I simply compile the file that I changed with the compiler (GCC or Clang)?

Just "make" should do.  Since you are debugging the binary in the
source tree, not the installed binary, "make install" shouldn't be
necessary, AFAIU (but I don't know enough about the intricacies of
macOS installations).