Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 09:04:24 -0700

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> EA> It's a port/re-write of BBDB using the EIEIO libraries.
>
> Can you explain the benefit of including this work into Emacs?  Specifically,
> does it solve problems being encountered with the current BBDB, or does it
> pave the way for new work?

It was originally meant to be a set of patches to BBDB, but snowballed
from there. My feeling was that the original package was inflexible, and
very difficult to extend. EBDB is made to be extensible: multiple
databases, an internationalization mechanism, hooks for integration into
other packages, subclassable records and fields that can have arbitrary
behavior... The code as it stands offers a few solid benefits over BBDB,
but most importantly there's a lot of room for building on top of it.
The class/generic method approach means that other packages could add
all kinds of new behavior to EBDB simply by being loaded.

Probably some of it did end up being new code for new code's sake...

I wasn't thinking of ELPA as "inclusion into Emacs", but maybe that's
what it is?

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> It's a port/re-write of BBDB using the EIEIO libraries.
>> Perhaps apropos of the recent copyright discussions: there's a fair
>> bit of BBDB code still in there.
>
> BTW, which BBDB are we talking about, here.
> Is it the BBDB v2, or BBDB v3?
>

>         Stefan "presuming v3"

Yup, I started out with version 3.

Eric