Re: binding S-mouse-1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: binding S-mouse-1
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 05:42:06 +0300

> Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 08:14:10 +0900 (JST)
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Tak Kunihiro <address@hidden>
>
> >> FWIW, I use S-down-mouse-1 quite a lot, especially when testing
> >> various display-related bug reports and questions.  Replacing it with
> >> super, for which I have no key on my keyboard, would need both more
> >> customizations and re-teaching my muscle memory.
>
> I suppose you meant without customizations, you have to re-teach.  You
> do not have to do both.

Yes, I do have to do both, because I will have to tell Emacs to use,
say, the left Windows key as super, and then learn to use that when I
need the menu which currently pops up by S-mouse-1.

> I think internal consistency between mouse-1 and S-mouse-1 also
> matters as well as behavior of S-mouse-1 across applications.

The current binding of S-mouse-1 was not taken out of thin air, it was
modeled on other applications as well, AFAIR.

> How about A or B?
>
> A (global-set-key [C-S-down-mouse-1] 'mouse-appearance-menu)
> A (global-set-key [S-down-mouse-1] 'ignore)
> A (global-set-key [S-mouse-1] 'mouse-save-then-kill)
>
> B (define-key cua--cua-keys-keymap [S-down-mouse-1] 'ignore)
> B (define-key cua--cua-keys-keymap [S-mouse-1] 'mouse-save-then-kill)

I don't use CUA, so my opinions about modifying its bindings don't
matter.  We should ask CUA users if they care.

But I don't think we should change the default behavior of S-mouse-1.