Re: [Emacs-diffs] master ed8b4e0: Prevent running vc-tests writing to ~/

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master ed8b4e0: Prevent running vc-tests writing to ~/.bzr.log
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 00:02:50 +0300

On 5/22/17 11:52 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

This is one big patch.

I don't think adding the same 7 lines to 4 functions is big,
nor something that should be split into more than one commit.

Rather, it's a chance that might be hard to maintain. I can easily see myself adding a test or two and forgetting to use Bzr the way you want here.

So I have to wonder whether this change is really necessary, or if it could be made in a more fool-proof way.

I think running tests should not interact with HOME at all,
and certainly should not write there.
(Perhaps test/Makefile should export a temporary HOME,
but tests can still be run not via the Makefile.)

Perhaps the tests could use a special proxy script for calling Bzr that would reside in the test directory, which disables logging somehow.