Re: kill-matching-buffers without confirmation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: kill-matching-buffers without confirmation
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 15:34:18 -0400

>> A defcustom seems too risky for this. A user can unknowingly copy that var
>> from somewhere and then end up killing modified buffers
>> without confirmation.
> I don't think we've applied such a standard before: we have multiple other
> variables that disable confirmation prompts, like
> confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer, confirm-kill-processes or
> kill-buffer-query-functions.

Killing a modified buffer means throwing away data without any way to
recover it, so it's kind of "almost always dangerous".  In contrast
confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer is never dangerous,
confirm-kill-processes can be dangerous but it very much depends, and
kill-buffer-query-functions (which *is* dangerous as well) is not
a defcustom.

        Stefan