Re: Smie-auto-fill doesn’t respect comment-auto-fill-only-comments

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Smie-auto-fill doesn’t respect comment-auto-fill-only-comments
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 12:57:26 -0600

>>> This won't fix the SMIE issue though.  That would require a similar fix
>>> in smie-auto-fill.
>> We should try and find a solution which doesn't require changing every
>> normal-auto-fill-function.

Stefan> I think the patch below "does the trick" but it's rather ugly.

I think the idea of changing auto-fill-mode to handle this case is
better than what I was doing.

However, I also agree that the advice is ugly...

Stefan> +                   (setq auto-fill-function normal-auto-fill-function)
Stefan> +                   (add-function :around normal-auto-fill-function
Stefan> +                                 (lambda (orig-fun &rest args)
Stefan> +                                   (if (and comment-start
Stefan> +
comment-auto-fill-only-comments
Stefan> +                                            (not (nth 4
(syntax-ppss))))
Stefan> +                                       ;; Comments exist and we only
want to
Stefan> +                                       ;; auto-fill them but we're not
in one!
Stefan> +                                       nil
Stefan> +                                     (apply orig-fun args))))))))

Could this just setq auto-fill-function to a function that wraps (the
captured value of) normal-auto-fill-function?  That would avoid using advice.

Tom