Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:37:20 +0300

On 27.04.2017 17:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I actually meant the 'apt' commands.  It's true that some other
distributions besides Debian support that, but AFAIK they have their
own commands to the same effects.

Ubuntu also uses 'apt', and it's a popular choice for CI servers.

OK, but why should the Emacs repository keep this file and maintain
it?

It's a common practice for the projects using Travis or GitLab CI.

It looks simple enough for the interested users to have it on
their systems,

Would you ask all interested users to maintain their own configurations, or even installations, of Hydra as well?

It sounds silly. We should have an accessible, friendly CI instance for all our users.

and GitLab looks like a full repository anyway, so
maybe the file should be maintained there?

And then what? Create endless merge commits in its repo? Or endlessly rebase the patch? Neither sounds very smart or necessary, and I've no idea how easy that would be to automate.

In both cases, HEAD will become different from the tip of master in the Emacs repository, and build failure emails will become less useful.