Re: How to build master

From: dptd dptd
Subject: Re: How to build master
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 20:18:48 +0200

On 24 Apr 2017, at 21:13, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:38 AM dptd dptd <address@hidden> wrote:
Kaushal - can you explain what is the difference and why “make" doesn’t work but "make bootstrap" does?

See what "make bootstrap" does over here: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/Makefile.in

# make bootstrap
#      Removes all the compiled files to force a new bootstrap from a
#      clean slate, and then build in the normal way.

So bootstrap ensures that you don't try to use old compiled files which might be incompatible with the new source files. I am not a core dev, just a user. But I have noticed that that tends to happen once every few months on so on the master branch.
--

Kaushal Modi

Thanks for the reply! :)