Two questions about atexit cleanup in dynamic modules

From: Joris Vankerschaver
Subject: Two questions about atexit cleanup in dynamic modules
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 09:51:14 +0100

Hi all,

I wrote a small Emacs dynamic module to execute Python scripts in an embedded
Python interpreter (https://github.com/jvkersch/emacs-python). The main thing
missing is that I would like to do some cleanup in the embedded Python
interpreter when Emacs exits (close open files, deal with threads/processes,
etc). What would be the best way to do so?

1. Can I just register an atexit handler when my module starts, or will that
interfere with some Emacs internals?

2. Would it make sense to add support to the module API for a cleanup callback
that is called when Emacs exits?

With best wishes,
Joris