Re: type-of semantics unclear for records

From: Lars Brinkhoff
Subject: Re: type-of semantics unclear for records
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 07:24:44 +0200

Paul Eggert wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> the first field can be a type name (a symbol) or a type descriptor (a
>> record, where the first field holds the corresponding type name).
> Ah, I'm afraid I don't know how type descriptors are supposed to work
> in Emacs. I don't offhand see the concept mentioned in the
> documentation; shouldn't it be?

I don't know for sure either, but it seems to be an EIEIO metaobject
thing.  So a type descriptor would be an instance of eieio--class.

I agree that the record type semantics should be documented.  The
type-of docstring says to return a symbol representing the type, so
that's good I think.  But I can insert a passage or two in the Lisp
manual.