Re: Change Tramp syntax

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Change Tramp syntax
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 16:14:03 -0700

MA> It didn't work ever. User and host name completion was based on a terrible
MA> heuristic. There have been bug reports, plus a many years long dissense
MA> between Stefan and me about `non-essential'.

Personally I don't care to ever complete host names (they're always short, as
I use ssh/config to manage them), so I'd rather have /host:file than an
unambiguous way to complete host names I never complete. I could be in the
minority, though.

MA> Enough reasons that I decided to solve it once and forever.

This is the essence of my question: Does it solve the problem for some, at a
cost to others? What is the new user experience if they fail to use "ssh:"? Is
it obvious what they've done wrong and how to fix it? You're modifying some
seriously ancient behavior with this change.

MA> There's no need to use "-". You could always use "ssh" instead, if this
MA> annoys your eyes.

Well.... by adding 4 characters to every remote pathname I type, for no
benefit *I* can perceive.

MA> The other way back to the ange-ftp syntax I've mentioned in my
MA> announcement: You are invited to implement a solution in Tramp :-)

Since you know the code well, do you think it's easy to add my own
file-name-handler that will insert the missing "ssh:" and resubmit to Tramp?