RE: Idea: Be able to use text properties as face attributes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Idea: Be able to use text properties as face attributes
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:32:26 -0700 (PDT)

> > just by font-lock highlighting), as well as with
> > `set-face-*' commands etc.
>
> The set-face-* functions are .. fundamentally flawed given the desire to
> make faces work with face-specs.  We make it work, but mostly because
> it's not used very much.

You give no explanation, so that enigmatic paragraph
doesn't mean much to me.  I don't doubt that there is
something behind your statement, but you seem to have
a habit of giving such pronouncements without any
explanation or reasons. ;-)

If there is a problem with some existing commands,
perhaps it should be fixed.

It is useful for a user or Lisp code to be able to
change a face definition on the fly.

----

We have, BTW, the various `facemenu-set-*' commands,
which set a given text property (whether `face',
`intangible', `invisible', `read-only', etc.) for
the region.

The feature I proposed provides a similar feature,
but more generally, and for all of the zones
inhabited by a given face, instead of just for the
region.