Re: Nicer confirmation prompt for package.el

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Nicer confirmation prompt for package.el
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 08:15:29 +0000

On 18 March 2017 at 14:11, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017, 8:52 AM Lele Gaifax <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> when a transaction involves different operations, current
>> `package-menu--prompt-transaction-p' shows prompts like
>>
>>   Delete package ‘x’; and Upgrade these 2 packages (y, z)?
>>
>> or
>>
>>   Delete package ‘x’; Install package ‘y’; and Upgrade these 2 packages
>> (w, z)?
>>
>> that IMHO are a bit inelegant.
>

> I actually like the current message, as the actions Delete, Install and
> Upgrade are capitalized. The user's attention is drawn to the fact that
> those 3 different actions are going to happen.  The semi-colons are used so
> that those actions can be capitalized, I think.

That might have been the idea but it's incorrect and looks bad.
A semicolons doesn't end a sentence.

It's not necessary to tell the user what to focus on. The user isn't an idiot :)

[...]

> 1. Current (no change) - Focus on the actions that are going to happen by
> capitalizing them.

> 2.  Use of Oxford commas

Perfectly easy to parse the list with or without the serial comma. In my opinion
the comma seems jarring in this case.

I like Lele's suggestion.